Monday, April 7, 2008



This is Xena, mother to Moxi.

Xena was my first red setter and I wish I had known what I was doing when I first got her. I made every mistake possible with her, had I known then what I know now she would have been very formiddable in trials. 35 pounds of enegy and drive I considered her a chesapeake personality. Break ice, dive under water to make a retrieve,cross rivers, swim upstream, make 200 and 300 yd retrieves, point fur and feathers, no fear what so ever she got off the plane at 12 weeks and was ready for action. Play and play hard. Xena was an all out hunting dog by the time I got into trials and learned a thing or two, some of the bad habits had taken hold for good, though she did well in competition her lack of manners worked against her, rufusing to back and stealing points, things she didn't ever have to do hunting. Now Xena is 9 and though she can't go as long, she will still break ice and give you a hell of a days hunt.To this day I have never come home empty handed from a hunt with Xena or Moxi and to hunt with the both of them together just isn't fair to the wild life.

No comments: